In case you have a glass sliding door in your house, you little question respect the way it creates an almost seamless visible connection between the indoors and out of doors, lets pure mild stream into the room, and makes a small house appear larger. However a glass sliding door merely isn’t as safe as a conventional wooden, steel, or fiberglass door. Glass, in any case, is definitely damaged, and a thief who’d moderately not make a ruckus by smashing the pane might in all probability make quick work of the weak lock sliding doorways are likely to have.
RELATED: 10 Low-Value Methods to Enhance Your House Safety
Happily, to beef up dwelling safety, there are straightforward steps you may take to make glass sliding doorways extra defensive. The next three measures don’t value a lot cash or take numerous time to implement, so for the very best outcomes, use all three.
1. Block the tracks.
Sliding doorways open and shut by transferring horizontally alongside higher and decrease tracks. So one of many easiest methods to extend sliding door safety is to place an impediment within the observe to forestall movement. With the blocker in place, a would-be burglar can’t slide the door open from exterior. A blocker would additionally act as an obstacle to a curious toddler or an aged member of the family affected by confusion and liable to wandering—each eventualities of concern to many households.
You can also make a door blocker by reducing a picket broom deal with or dowel of comparable thickness right down to a dimension that fills the underside observe when the door is closed. For those who don’t care to DIY, business options can be found. Most are easy steel dowels that modify in size to work with nearly all of sliding doorways, typically round 25 to 45 inches. You’ll be able to even discover ornamental high voltage doorknob capacitor blockers, such because the U.S. Patrol Sliding Door Lock Bar accessible on Amazon, so as to add a sexy ingredient of scrollwork together with further safety.
2. Lock it tight.
Whereas your entrance door probably has a deadbolt together with a locking knob, the sliding glass door to your yard or patio in all probability has only a easy latch clamped onto the doorframe to cease the door from sliding. Sadly, that latch isn’t a lot of a deterrent to a decided burglar, who can pry it open with a screwdriver.
To put in, drill screw holes into each the doorjamb and the sliding body of the door, after which screw the loop lock into place. Loop locks promote at dwelling enchancment facilities for lower than $10 (see the choices at House Depot) and placing one in is a primary, 15-minute DIY job. The peace of thoughts return on funding will probably be priceless.To ramp up sliding door safety, again up the latch with a metal secondary locking system. Of the varied configurations of such gadgets, a typical loop lock is cheap and efficient. A loop lock has a steel casing on every finish—one finish attaches to the sliding portion of the door, the opposite to the doorjamb—and a metal pin that drops down into the casings to lock the door and lifts as much as unlock it.
RELATED: The 15 Smartest and Smallest DIYs You Can Do for Your House
three. Reinforce the glass.
Your sliding door’s giant expanse of glass lets would-be burglars peek in to find out who—and what—is inside. It’s then merely a matter of hanging the door with a rock or brick to shatter the glass, reaching inside, undoing the latch, and sliding the door open.
Making use of safety movie to the insides of the glass may give the sliding door further power. These extraordinarily skinny vinyl movies add a layer of sturdy help, making it very troublesome to interrupt via the glass. This helps preserve out burglars and likewise provides further safety towards high-wind occasions or youngsters get carried away taking part in ball.
There are clear safety movies, mirrored movies, and movies opaque sufficient to forestall anybody from seeing inside but nonetheless translucent sufficient to confess some mild. The final choice is most safe, however few owners wish to quit unhampered out of doors views. Additionally, remember that mirrored movies mirror solely on the aspect that’s at the moment essentially the most brightly lit, which means that in the course of the day, when it’s typically brighter outside than inside, an individual exterior your own home will see their very own reflection within the door, whereas it is possible for you to to look proper via the glass from the within. At night time, when you’ve got the lights on inside the home, the other will probably be true; it’s you that can see your individual reflection within the sliding door, whereas an individual within the yard will have the ability to look proper via the glass.
You should purchase rolls of safety movie at dwelling enchancment facilities for between $10 and $30 per roll, relying on the sort, model, and dimension—sufficient to cowl the typical sliding door. Although not troublesome, efficiently making use of safety movie to a sliding door is tedious and customarily requires an assistant.
- Measure the width and top of each panes of glass in your sliding door. You’ll want a roll of movie large and lengthy sufficient to cowl each panes of glass in your sliding door. Glass movies are bought in a variety of sizes, so select the dimensions that finest matches your door’s measurements.
- Clear the glass completely. Any mud, lint, or fingerprints on the floor of the glass will probably be caught beneath the safety movie. Fill a one-quart mister bottle with distilled water (it received’t depart white mineral deposits as soon as it dries) and add one-quarter teaspoon of child shampoo or delicate liquid dish cleaning soap. Shake nicely, spray the glass, and wipe clear with a lint-free paper towel, espresso filters, or crumpled newspaper. Don’t neglect the corners, the place grunge tends to build up.
- Roll out the safety movie on a big, flat, clear floor. Use a pencil to mark your door’s measurements, minus one-eighth of an inch all the best way round. This hole will help you squeegee away air bubbles and water later. Fastidiously lower your movie to dimension utilizing sharp scissors or a utility knife.
- Spray the glass together with your soapy water combination till water runs down the door. The water helps maintain the movie towards the glass throughout set up and provides you a little bit of “slip” so you may reposition the movie if obligatory earlier than adhering it into place.
- Carry the movie up in entrance of the glass pane and start to peel. Together with your assistant, take care to not crease or wrinkle the movie—you’ll in all probability want a stepstool to succeed in the higher edges of the door. Peel away the movie’s liner from the highest inch of the fabric, after which match the movie towards the higher fringe of the glass, beginning in a single nook and punctiliously lining up the movie with the higher fringe of the door.
- Peel and press it into place. As your assistant holds the highest of the movie in place, slowly peel away the remainder of the liner, urgent the movie towards the glass as you go.
- Make any wanted changes to the movie’s place. Then clean the movie into place together with your palms, working from the center out in direction of the sides of the glass.
- Squeegee any trapped air bubbles and extra water out from beneath the movie. Begin on the high and work your approach down, smoothing the squeegee from the middle of the movie in direction of the outer edges. Proceed till the movie fully adheres to the glass and there aren’t any seen air bubbles or water caught between the glass and the movie.
- Trim away any extra or uneven movie with a utility blade.
- Repeat the method on the opposite pane of the door.
- Dry with clear rags. Wipe the floor of the movie in addition to any puddled water on the ground.